Wednesday, August 21, 2013

[NEWS] BILLBOARD'S BILL WERDE DISCUSSES CHRISTINA'S COMEBACK CHANCES

On the ATRL fan forum, Bill Werde, editor-in-chief of Billboard Magazine, answered a fan's question regarding whether or not Christina Aguilera's chances at having a successful comeback can happen for her.
Q. Originally posted by Sean 97: What does Xtina need to do to have a proper comeback? Will she ever find success again?

A. Originally posted by BWerde: She's obviously supremely talented - arguably the most talented pure singer of the last several generations of pop stars. So there's always the possibility of a comeback. She can also really rise to a moment. Her tribute to James Brown at grammys after he died didn't make sense to me on paper but instantly became one of my personal top 50 pop moments.

I think she's struggling on two fronts. One, there's the ageism thing in pop. I definitely don't agree with it - in fact I think it's completely awful - but it seems that pop only accepts teens and young 20-somethings singing frankly about sexuality. Xtina and Janet are two examples of women on the wrong side of this bias.


I think another dynamic possibly working against her - and this is just what I hear, not what I've seen - is that she hasn't completely endeared herself to some in the business. It takes a village to be successful - promoters, producers, label execs, agents etc. If you end up with a reputation as being difficult or under-appreciative, it doesn't help you when you're in between hits. Those are the times when you most need the best folks in the biz to want to help you.


Again, I've just heard these things second hand.
She was nothing but sweet to me in person.

So what does she need to do if she wants to make a comeback? It all begins and ends with the quality and positioning of the songs. Id say party/Club songs but more upbeat/positive. I'd also like to hear a ballad or two that can stand next to Beautiful. Songs about empowerment and overcoming adversity.

Then she needs to work. Endless promo. A run of small Club dates to reconnect and build buzz. Radio promo out the butt. That sort of thing.


I think the most important question at this point - for her or for anyone in her situation - is, does she really want it?
Source: ATRL

12 comments:

  1. Do you have a boy friend? I'm single wink lol...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure if I agree with the "upbeat/positive party/Club songs"...

    I mean first of all she should make the kind of music she wants to do, but I think her best bet would be to go back to the roots and make some more soulful pop songs à la Stripped/ Back to Basics. Similar to Amy Winehouse's or Adele's music. But that's just my opinion...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you

      Delete
    2. OMG YES! I've been saying it non stop that she needs and Adele style record.

      Delete
  3. I personally don't think she really wants to go back to the level of fame she had before. Thst seems very obvious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmmm...interesting

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think in due time all the stars will align again for Xtina. Because at this point in order for her to have commercial success she has to conform to whats "popular". If I know Xtina, I know thats not her style. I do feel she needs to re-examine some things. To me, Lotus was everything Bill described, but unfortunately the world is made up of a billion Christina fans lol. At the end of the day she is gonna do what she wants, how she wants. She'll be back on top. A "Christina Aguilera" doesn't happen often and as far as I'm concerned, she has nothing to prove.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think Christina needs a great, pulled back jazz/vocal style album like Adeles 21. The problem is no matter how amazing a pop/dance song will be Christina just wont sell it like the likes of Katy Perry/Gaga/Rihanna because they're purely POP STARS and they will overshadow her and she will seem a failure in comparison to their sales. Besides fanbases the other people who buy and request pop songs like that are younger people and Christina doesn't have enough appeal to the younger generation to sell a pop song right now. She could have released California Girls/Bad Romance/Umberalla or any other commercially successful pop songs like them and it wouldn't have done as well. Why? Because she's not a POP STAR she just doesn't have the "Pop star" appeal. It's absolutely not a bad thing in case anyone thinks I'm criticising I'm not! She's just beyond these silly pop songs. I just think Christina has a big problem where she falls between niches. She's not a straight forward vocalist like Adele and she's not a straight forward pop star like the others I mentioned so she's stuck in the middle. That's why I think she struggles to sell commercially. She fails to generate commercially successful songs because fans are divided on her.

    MY SUGGESTION is she needs a record like Adele. Look at it this way, Adele outsold EVERYONE in the industry last year. No one could top her no matter how little they wore or how catchy their songs were. Beyonce, Britney, Katy, Gaga NOBODY! She rises above this attention grabbing pop nonsense and used her voice and most importantly CREDIBILITY to sell albums. People respect Adele for her voice and one question I ask is... Out of every single female in the industry right now, who else has the same vocal credibility and respect amongst the industry that Adele has? Christina!! She's the ONLY female who has made a career based on her VOICE and that is why she should be using that credibility to sell albums the way Adele does. I know a lot of people dislike Christina but no matter how much they do EVERYONE respects her voice right? So why isn't she using that? Were now in a era of music where real singers like Adele are selling more albums and winning more awards than any pop stars out there and Christina could be too because she's the only female in the industry who has the same level of vocal respect the likes of Adele does. She's even more respected than Adele vocally! Gaga/Katy/Rihanna etc none of the could ever make and album like 21 if they did it would flop! Because their voices and musical ability just isn't respected or as credible as Adeles so an album like 21 wouldn't work for them. But Christina COULD sell an album like 21. That is why I think Lotus is a huge missed opportunity. With a lot of promo, new image and style and a great jazz/vocal album with a great first single she'd reinvent herself and wouldn't be categorized with these "pop stars" anymore. We need back to basics 2.0 not an album full of pop songs that will just get overshadowed by the rest of the pop singers out their. She has more to offer than everyone every other singer out there so she needs to use her talents to stand out amongst the rest of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Best thing I've read all day..

      Delete
  7. AMEN!!! Fighter for Life!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this is so true my idol have to come back with her raw talent, can't wait for that;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. She was at her highest when she released Back To Basics and that wasn't pop/club beats so I would have to disagree. Her voice is so big and soulful to be trapped in auto tune and bass lines! I agree with a lot of what the comments say a repeat of Stripped, you know know something meaningful, raw and soulful with a bit of her latin sound. But she will do what's right for her and I'm excited to see what comes next

    ReplyDelete

TOTAL PAGE VIEWS